Enter Title, Author, ISBN, etc.
Use arrow tabs for subcategories
Title: Art, History and the Historiography of Judaism in Roman Antiquity
Author: Fine, Steven
Publisher: Brill; Publication Date: 2013
Hardcover; ISBN: 9789004238169
Volumes: 1; Pages: xviii, 234
List Price in Hardcover: $140.00 Our price: $118.99
(Add to Cart button is at the bottom of this page)
Art, History, and the Historiography of Judaism in Roman Antiquity explores the complex interplay between visual culture, texts, and their interpretations, arguing for an open-ended and self-aware approach to understanding Jewish culture from the first century CE through the rise of Islam. The essays assembled here range from the "thick description" of Josephus's portrayal of Bezalel son of Uri as a Roman architect through the inscriptions of the Dura Europos synagogue, Jewish reflections on Caligula in color, the polychromy of the Jerusalem temple and new-old approaches to the zodiac, and to the Christian destruction of ancient synagogues. Taken together, these essays suggest a humane approach to the history of the Jews in an age of deep and long-lasting transitions - both in antiquity, and in our own time.
Table of Contents
1. "See, I Have Called the Renowned Name of Bezalel, Son of Uri . . .": Josephus's Portrayal of the Biblical "Architect"
2. A Note on Ossuary Burial and the Resurrection of the Dead in First-Century Jerusalem
3. Caligula and the Jews: Some Historiographic Reflections Occasioned by Gaius in Polychrome
4. "When I Went to Rome . . . There I Saw the Menorah": The Jerusalem Temple Implements in Rabbinic Memory, History, and Myth
5. Coloring the Temple: Polychromy and the Jerusalem Temple in Late Antiquity
6. Jewish Identity at the Cusp of Empires: The Jews of Dura Europos between Rome and Persia
7. "Epigraphical" Study Houses in Late Antique Palestine: A Second Look
8. Furnishing God's Study House: An Exercise in Rabbinic Imagination
9. The Jewish Helios: A Modest Proposal regarding the Sun God and the Zodiac on Late Antique Synagogue Mosaics
10. Between Liturgy and Social History: Priestly Power in Late Antique Palestinian Synagogues?
11. The Menorah and the Cross: Historiographic Reflections on a Recent Discovery from Laodicea on the Lycus
12. Jews and Judaism under Byzantium and Islam
All Prices in US Dollars