Enter Title, Author, ISBN, etc.
Use arrow tabs for subcategories
Title: Abraham in the Book of Jubilees: The Rewriting of Genesis 11:26-25:10 in the Book of Jubilees 11:14-23:8
Author: Ruiten, Jacques T A G M v
Publisher: Brill; Publication Date: 2012
Hardcover; ISBN: 9789004234666
Volumes: 1; Pages: 383
List Price in Hardcover: $189.00 Our price: $158.99
(Add to Cart button is at the bottom of this page)
In Abraham in the Book of Jubilees, Jacques van Ruiten offers a systematic analysis of one of the most important and extensive Second Temple Jewish treatments of the figure of Abraham (Jub. 11:14-23:8). Given the importance of representations and reinterpretations of Abraham within Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, a careful analysis of this early source is an important contribution to research both on the evolving images of biblical patriarchs and on the history of biblical interpretation.
There are many references to Jubilees in articles and books on images of Abraham. They are chosen for exegetical motifs, with little attention for its own literary and narrative dynamics, or for the specific writing and reading practices that it embodies and attests. Van Ruiten-s careful analysis thus provides important context and corrective.
Table of Contents
1. The Early Abram (Gen 11:26-12:3; Jub. 11:14-12:31)
2. Abram's Travels (Gen 12:4-14:24; Jub. 13)
3. Land and Covenant (Gen 15-16; Jub. 14)
4. Abraham, Israel and the Nations (Gen 17; Jub. 15)
5. Events surrounding Isaac's Birth (Gen 18-21; Jub. 16:1-17:14)
6. Isaac's Binding (Gen 22:1-19; Jub. 17:15-18:19)
7. Events after Sarah's Death until Abraham's Blessing for Jacob (Gen 22:20-25:4; 25:21-28; Jub. 19)
8. Abraham's Testament to All His Children and Grandchildren (Jub. 20:1-13)
9. Abraham's Testament to Isaac (Jub. 21:1-26)
10. Abraham's Last Day (Jub. 22:1-23:8)