Enter Title, Author, ISBN, etc.
Use arrow tabs for subcategories
Title: Biblical Narrative and Palestine's History: Changing Perspectives 2
Author: Thompson, Thomas L
Publisher: Acumen Publishing; Publication Date: 2013
Hardcover; ISBN: 9781908049957
Volumes: 1; Pages: 352
List Price in Hardcover: $99.95 Our price: $80.99
(Add to Cart button is at the bottom of this page)
Modern biblical scholarship?s commitment to the historical-critical method in its efforts to write a history of Israel has created the central and unavoidable problem of writing an objective and critical history of Palestine through the biblical literature with the methods of Biblical Archaeology. Biblical Narrative and Palestine?s History brings together key essays on historical method and the archaeology and history of Palestine.
The essays employ comparative and formalistic techniques to illuminate the allegorical and mythical in Old Testament narrative traditions from Genesis to Nehemiah. In so doing, the volume presents a detailed review of central and radical changes in both our understanding of biblical traditions and the archaeology and history of Palestine. The study offers an analysis of Biblical narrative as rooted in ancient Near Eastern literature since the Bronze Age.
Introduction by Philip R. Davies
1. The Joseph and Moses Narratives 4: Narratives about the Origins of Israel
2. Historical Notes on Israel?s Conquest: A Peasants? Rebellion
3. The Background of the Patriarchs: A Reply to William Dever and Malcolm Clark
4. Conflict Themes in the Jacob Narratives
5. History and Tradition: A Response to J. B. Geyer
6. Text, Context and Referent in Israelite Historiography
7. Palestinian Pastoralism and Israel?s Origins
8. The Intellectual Matrix of Early Biblical Narrative: Inclusive Monotheism in Persian Period Palestine
9. How Yahweh Became God: Exodus 3 and 6 and the Heart of the Pentateuch
10. 4QTestimonia and Bible Composition: A Copenhagen Lego Hypothesis
11. Why Talk About the Past: The Bible, Epic and Historiography
12. Historiography in the Pentateuch: Twenty-Five Years after Historicity
13. The Messiah Epithet in the Hebrew Bible
14. Kingship and the Wrath of God: Or Teaching Humility
15. From the Mouth of Babes, Strength: Psalm 8 and the Book of Isaiah
16. Job 29: Biography or Parable?
17. Mesha and Questions of Historicity
18. Changing Perspectives on the History of Palestine