Enter Title, Author, ISBN, etc.
Use arrow tabs for subcategories
Title: Studying Hinduism: The Critical Issues
Author: Hart, David Ananda
Publisher: Continuum International Pub Inc; Publication Date: 2012
Hardcover; ISBN: 9781847062932
Volumes: 1; Pages: 224
List Price in Hardcover: $110.00 Our price: $110.00
(Add to Cart button is at the bottom of this page)
This new volume in the Studying World Religions series is an essential guide to the study of the Hindu faith.
Clearly structured to cover all the major areas of study, including historical foundations, scripture, society, thought, ethics, rituals, spirituality and aesthetics, this is the ideal study aid for those approaching Hinduism for the first time. Rather than attempting to cover all the material, the critical and methodological issues that students need to grasp in the study of Hinduism--and religion in general--are drawn out, and the major contemporary debates explored.
With helpful suggestions for further study, pointing students towards material such as primary sources (scriptures), films and novels and including ideas for teaching, discussion topics and exercises, Studying Hinduism is the perfect companion for the fledgling student of religion.
Table Of Contents
1. Hinduism: a religion or philosophy? Exploring the historical and conceptual dimensions
2. The Hindu pantheon: Scriptural and mythical dimensions
3. The Hindu temple and its ritual: Aesthetic and spiritual dimensions
4. The festival calendar: The ritual dimension
5. Hindu life and ethics: Community and ethical dimensions
6. Popular Hindu culture: The social involvement dimension
All Prices in US Dollars