Enter Title, Author, ISBN, etc.
Use arrow tabs for subcategories
Title: Global Civilization: Challenges to Society and to Christianity
Author: Boff, Leonardo
Publisher: Acumen Publishing; Publication Date: 2005
Hardcover; ISBN: 9781845530044
Volumes: 1; Pages: 120
List Price in Hardcover: $85.00 Our price: $68.99
(Add to Cart button is at the bottom of this page)
Leonardo Boff is one of the founders of Liberation Theology. He remains a seminal thinker within Christian Theology. First published in Portuguese under the title, Civilizacao Planetaria, Global Civilisation is a philosophical and theological enquiry into the various elements of the globalisation process, including market forces, politics, military force, technology and science, communication and spirituality. Boff understands that the process of globalisation affects all spheres of human life, and it represents a new phase in human evolution and a new stage for Earth itself. In the present we will walk a difficult path since globalisation represents a 'revolution' in which a number of issues, such as consciousness, the meaning of life, holiness, the economy, politics, culture, work standards and ethics, are being redefined. However, Boff presents a very optimistic future for humankind, as he envisages that the Earth will become the 'true home' for all human beings. The book is divided into two main parts; in the first part Boff deals with the "Rise of a New Global Civilisation", and in the second part he discusses "The New World Order and Christianity".
Preface (Clive Pearson and Jione Havea)
PART 1--THE RISE OF A NEW GLOBAL CIVILIZATION
1. The New Nature of the Technological Progress
2. The Process of Globalization
3. The Rise of a New Global Consciousness
4. The Direction of the Current Globalization Process: Is this the Creation of a Noosphere?
5. Christianity's Contribution to the New Civilization
6. Conclusion: Fidelity to the Greatest of the Dreams
PART 2--THE NEW WORLD ORDER AND CHRISTIANITY
1. The World Crisis from the Ethical and Political Perspective of the South
2. The Roots of the World Crisis
3. Towards a New Alliance
4. How much does Christianity Help with the Construction of the 21st Century?
5. Conclusion: We are all Eagles.
Recreating a Utopic Horizon
Bibliography and Further Reading
APPENDICES: A. Earth's Charter
B. The Ages of Globalization
C. The Process of Globalization as a Challenge to Liberal Theology
All Prices in US Dollars