Enter Title, Author, ISBN, etc.
Use arrow tabs for subcategories
Title: Beyond Form Criticism: Essays in Old Testament Literary Criticism
Author: House, Paul R
Additional Authors or Contributors: (ed)
Publisher: Eisenbrauns; Publication Date: 1992
Hardcover; ISBN: 9780931464652
Volumes: 1; Pages: xvi, 448
List Price in Hardcover: $49.95 Our price: $41.99
(Add to Cart button is at the bottom of this page)
Tracing the development, current state, and future of Old Testament literary criticism, this volume gathers seminal articles that demonstrate the major methods and introduce the significant figures of this approach to biblical study.
Table of Contents
Paul R. House--The Rise and Current Status of Literary Criticism of the Old Testament
"Scripture and Literary Criticism"
David J. A. Clines--Story and Poem: The Old Testament as Literature and as Scripture
Krister Stendahl--The Bible as a Classic and the Bible as Holy Scripture
James Muilenburg--Form Criticism and Beyond
J. Kenneth Kuntz--Psalm 18: A Rhetorical-Critical Analysis
Richard Jacobson--The Structuralists and the Bible
Jean Calloud--A Few Comments on Structural Semiotics: A Brief Review of a Method and Some Explanation of Procedures
Daniel Patte and Judson F. Parker--A Structural Exegesis of Genesis 2 and 3
"Formalism and Narrative"
1. Methodology: Robert Alter--A Literary Approach to the Bible
2. Structure: Shimon Bar-Efrat--Some Observations on the Analysis of Structure in Biblical Narrative
3. Plot: Barbara Green--The Plot of the Biblical Story of Ruth
4. Characterization: Adele Berlin--Characterization in Biblical Narrative: David's Wives
5. Narration: Meir Sternberg--The Bible's Art of Persuasion: Ideology, Rhetoric, and Poetics in Saul's Fall
6. Genre: J. Cheryl Exum and J. Williams Whedbee--Isaac, Samson, and Saul: Reflections on the Comic and Tragic Visions
"Analysis of Hebrew Poetry"
Adele Berlin--The Grammatical Aspect of Biblical Parallelism
J. Cheryl Exum--Of Broken Pots, Fluttering Birds, and Visions in the Night: Extended Simile and Poetic Technique in Isaiah
Robert M. Fowler--Who Is "The Reader" in Reader Response Criticism?
Willem S. Vorster--Readings, Readers, and the Succession Narrative: An Essay on Reception
"The Future of Old Testament Literary Criticism"
1. Narrative: David M. Gunn--New Directions in the Study of Biblical Hebrew Narrative
2. Poetry: Mona West--Looking for the Poem: Reflections on the Current and Future Status of the Study of Biblical Hebrew Poetry
Index of Authorities
Index of Scripture References
"Because of its organization, its survey of the discipline, its careful definition, its practical illustrations, and its general clarity, this volume would benefit both students and professionals who want to familiarize themselves with this development discipline."--Brenda Colijn in Ashland Theological Journal
"... this volume provides a useful framework within which to evaluate the increasingly important and popular field."--Robert B. Chisholm Jr. in Bibliotheca Sacra
"In this volume, House provides a helpful guided tour through the development of OT literary criticism. The articles are well chosen. This volume serves a useful function for biblical scholars trained in other approaches who wish to understand what literary criticism is, how it developed, how it explains itself, and what may be seen as representative results of its labor."--Julia M. O'Brien, Meredith College in The Catholic Biblical Quarterly