Enter Title, Author, ISBN, etc.
Use arrow tabs for subcategories
Title: New Paradigm of Spirituality and Religion: Contemporary Shamanic Practice in Scotland
Author: Burgess, Mary Catherine
Publisher: Continuum International Pub Inc; Publication Date: 2008
Hardcover; ISBN: 9780826499653
Volumes: 1; Pages: 224
List Price in Hardcover: $130.00 Our price: $130.00
(Add to Cart button is at the bottom of this page)
Weaving theory and practice together, MaryCatherine Burgess explores the historically difficult relationship between religion and spirituality by applying cross-cultural elements of shamanism and Dani�le Hervieu-L�ger's Model of "Religion as a Chain of Memory" to her study of contemporary shamanic practice in Scotland.
Within the context of cultural and religious change, she utilises Hervieu-L�ger's analytical model to uncover a shamanic worldview that carries in its memory and practice a lineage of spirituality, not belief. This distinction sheds critical light on a new paradigm of spirituality and religion that reflects how many in Western societies currently respond to institutional religion.
Table Of Contents
1. Religion, Spirituality and Contemporary Shamanic Practice in Scotland--Exploring the Relationships
2. The Impacts of Transformational Cultural Change on Religion and Spirituality
3. Seeking a New Definition of Religion
4. What is Shamanism?
5. A Case Study of Three Shamanic Practice Groups in Scotland
6. Exploring Connections Between Cross-Cultural Shamanic Elements and Neo-Shamanic Expressions in Scotland: Interviews, Participant Observation, and Analysis
7. Applying Hervieu-L�ger's Analytical Model of Religion to Reveal a Lineage of Spirituality, not Belief, in the Shamanic Chain of Memory
8. Patterns, Conclusions, and Resulting Issues
9. Seeing Differently--A New Paradigm of Spirituality and Religion