Enter Title, Author, ISBN, etc.
Use arrow tabs for subcategories
Title: Christobiography: Memory, History, and the Reliability of the Gospels
Author: Keener, Craig S
Publisher: Wm B Eerdmans Publishing Co; Publication Date: 2019
Hardcover; ISBN: 9780802876751
Volumes: 1; Pages: 743
List Price in Hardcover: $54.99 Our price: $36.99
(Add to Cart button is at the bottom of this page)
Are the canonical Gospels historically reliable?
The four canonical Gospels are ancient biographies, narratives of Jesus's life. The authors of these Gospels were intentional in how they handled historical information and sources.
Building on recent work in the study of ancient biographies, Craig Keener argues that the writers of the canonical Gospels followed the literary practices of other biographers in their day. In Christobiography he explores the character of ancient biography and urges students and scholars to appreciate the Gospel writers' method and degree of accuracy in recounting the life and ministry of Jesus. Keener's Christobiography has far-reaching implications for the study of the canonical Gospels and historical Jesus research. He concludes that the four canonical Gospels are historically reliable ancient biographies.
Table of Contents
Part 1. Biographies about Jesus
2. Not a Novel Proposal
3. Examples and Development of Ancient Biography
4. What Sort of Biographies Are the Gospels?
5. What Did First-Century Audiences Expect of Biographies?
Part 2 Biographies and History
6. Biographies and Historical Information
7. What Historical Interests Meant in Antiquity
8. Luke-Acts as Biohistory
9. Sources Close to the Events
Part 3. Testing the Range of Deviation
10. Case Studies: Biographies of Recent Characters Use Prior Information
11. Flex Room: Literary Techniques in Ancient Biographies
Part 4. Two Objections to Gospels as Historical Biographies
12. What about Miracles?
13. What about John?
Part 5. Memories about Jesus: Memories before Memoirs
14. Memory Studies
15. Jesus Was a Teacher
16. Oral Tradition, Oral History
17. The Implications of This Study
All Prices in US Dollars