Enter Title, Author, ISBN, etc.
Use arrow tabs for subcategories
Title: History of the Hasmonean State: Josephus and Beyond
Author: Atkinson, Kenneth
Publisher: Bloomsbury T & T Clark; Publication Date: 2016
Hardcover; ISBN: 9780567669025
Volumes: 1; Pages: 208
List Price in Hardcover: $122.00 Our price: $122.00
(Add to Cart button is at the bottom of this page)
Kenneth Atkinson tells the exciting story of the nine decades of the Hasmonean rule of Judea (152 - 63 BCE) by going beyond the accounts of the Hasmoneans in Josephus in order to bring together new evidence to reconstruct how the Hasmonean family transformed their kingdom into a state that lasted until the arrival of the Romans.
Atkinson reconstructs the relationships between the Hasmonean state and the rulers of the Seleucid and the Ptolemaic Empires, the Itureans, the Nabateans, the Parthians, the Armenians, the Cappadocians, and the Roman Republic. He draws on a variety of previously unused sources, including papyrological documentation, inscriptions, archaeological evidence, numismatics, Dead Sea Scrolls, pseudepigrapha, and textual sources from the Hellenistic to the Byzantine periods.
Atkinson also explores how Josephus's political and social situation in Flavian Rome affected his accounts of the Hasmoneans and why any study of the Hasmonean state must go beyond Josephus to gain a full appreciation of this unique historical period that shaped Second Temple Judaism, and created the conditions for the rise of the Herodian dynasty and the emergence of Christianity.
Table of contents
2. The Foundation of the Hasmonean Dynasty
3. John Hyrcanus: His Role During Simon's Reign and his Consolidation of Political and Secular Powers
4. Judah Aristobulus: The Creation of the Hasmonean Monarchy
5. Alexander Jannaeus: A Period of Conquest and Expansion
6. Shelamzion Alexandra: A Hasmonean Golden Age
7. Pompey and the Hasmoneans: Hyrcanus II, Aristobulus II, and the End of the Hasmonean Monarchy
8. After the Roman Conquest
9. Conclusion: Josephus, Rome, and Hasmonean History
Bibliography: Primary Sources
Bibliography: Secondary Sources
All Prices in US Dollars