Enter Title, Author, ISBN, etc.
Use arrow tabs for subcategories
Title: Deuteronomy: Issues and Interpretation
Author: Rofe, Alexander
Publisher: Bloomsbury T & T Clark; Publication Date: 2002
Hardcover; ISBN: 9780567087546
Volumes: 1; Pages: 272
List Price in Hardcover: $115.00 Our price: $115.00
(Add to Cart button is at the bottom of this page)
This is a major new study on the book of Deuteronomy by an acclaimed expert in the field.
Paying particular attention to the legal passages in Deuteronomy, Professor Rof seeks to clarify the contents and unity of each section, its literary history, the origin of the single laws and their relation to other kindred laws in other documents of the Pentateuch.
Bringing together different methods of biblical study--traditional Jewish interpretation, classical biblical criticism, form criticism, history of tradition and textual criticism--the author argues that the roots of Deuteronomy lie in monarchial Israel and Judah, that the literary climax belongs to the seventh century B.C.E, and that the final stages of the text are exilic and early post-exilic.
1. The Book of Deuteronomy: A Summary
2. The Monotheistic Argumentation in Deuteronomy 4.32-40: Contents, Composition and Text
3. Deuteronomy 5.38--6.1: Composition and Text in the Light of Deuteronomic Stule and Three Tefillin from Qumran
4. The Arrangement of the Laws in Deuteronomy
5. The Tenth Commandment in the Light of Four Deuteronomic Laws
6. The Strata of the Law about the Centralisation of Worship in Deuteronomy and the History of the Deuteronomic Movement
7. The Organisation of the Judiciary in Deuteronomy
8. The Laws of Warfare in the Book of Deuteronomy: Their Origins, Intent and Positivity
9. Family and Sex Laws in Deuteronomy and the Book of the Covenant
10. The Covenant in the Land of Moab: Historico-Literary, Comparative and Form Critical Considerations
11. Methodological Aspects of the Study of Biblical Law
12. Review of M. Weinfeld, Deuteronomy and the Deuteronomic School
13. The History of the Cities of Refuge in Biblical Law
All Prices in US Dollars