Enter Title, Author, ISBN, etc.
Use arrow tabs for subcategories
Title: Cambridge Ancient History, Volume 4: Persia, Greece and the Western Mediterranean, c 525-479 BC
Author: Boardman, John
Additional Authors or Contributors: N G L Hammond, D M Lewis, M Ostwald (eds)
Publisher: Cambridge University Press; Publication Date: 1988
Hardcover; ISBN: 9780521228046
Volumes: 1; Pages: 949
List Price in Hardcover: $381.00 Our price: $381.00
(Add to Cart button is at the bottom of this page)
The first section of this volume examines the Persian empire, the regions it comprised, and its expansion under Cyrus, Darius, and Xerxes. In Greece, Sparta attained maturity as the leader of a military coalition and Athens passed through a period of enlightened tyranny to a moderate democracy of dynamic energy and intelligence. Given the contrast between Greek idealism and Persian absolutism a clash between the two empires was inevitable. Important chapters deal with the revolt of Ionian Greeks against the Persians, and the two Persian invasions of Greece including epic battles at Marathon, Tthermopylae, and Salamis. The book's third part turns to the Western Mediterranean: Italy becomes a significant factor in the area's historical development and is explored in terms of its peoples and languages from the Bronze to the Iron Ages.
"CAH IV fulfills its function: it sets forth the state of the questions, clarifies controversies, suggests new approaches. It will be found useful by graduate students reviewing for comprehensive examinations and by professors wishing to update lectures in survey courses." Paul MacKendrick, Classical World
T. Cuyler Young Jr., Am lie Kuhrt, I. Eph'al, Henri-Paul Francfort, A. D. H. Bivar, M. Mellink, A. Fol, N. G. L. Hammond, J. D. Ray, D. M. Lewis, Martin Ostwald, L. H. Jeffery, J. K. Davies, G. S. Kirk, John Boardman, Colin Kraay, C. Roebuck, Oswyn Murray, N. G. L. Hammond, J. P. Barron, David Ridgway, Edward Togo Salmon, J. H. W. Penney, David Asheri
List of maps
List of text-figures
List of chronological tables
Part I. The Persian Empire: 1. The early history of the Medes and the Persians and the Achaemenid empire to the death of Cambyses T. Cuyler Young Jr.
2. The consolidation of the empire and its limits of growth under Darius and Xerxes T. Cuyler Young Jr.
3. The major regions of the empire Am lie Kuhrt, I. Eph'al, Henri-Paul Francfort, A. D. H. Bivar, M. Mellink, A. Fol, N. G. L. Hammond and J. D. Ray
Part II. The Greek States: 4. The tyranny of the Pisistratidae D. M. Lewis
5. The reform of the Athenian state by Cleisthenes Martin Ostwald
6. Greece before the Persian invasion L. H. Jeffery
7. Archaic Greek society J. K. Davies, G. S. Kirk, John Boardman, Colin Kraay, C. Roebuck, Oswyn Murray, N. G. L. Hammond and J. P. Barron
Part III. The West: 12. Italy from the Bronze Age to the Iron Age David Ridgway
13. The Etruscans David Ridgway
14. The Iron Age: the peoples of Italy Edward Togo Salmon
15. The languages of Italy J. H. W. Penney
16. Carthaginians and Greeks David Asheri
All Prices in US Dollars