Enter Title, Author, ISBN, etc.
Use arrow tabs for subcategories
Title: Encyclopedia of Religious Rites, Rituals, and Festivals
Author: Salamone, Frank
Additional Authors or Contributors: (ed)
Publisher: Routledge/Taylor & Francis; Publication Date: 2004
Hardcover; ISBN: 9780415941808
Volumes: 1; Pages: 504
List Price in Hardcover: $175.00 Our price: $175.00
(Add to Cart button is at the bottom of this page)
From rites of passage that signify an individual's new status or change in life to the ritual consumption of specific foods on certain days, religious rites, rituals, and festivals have shaped and have been shaped by society throughout history and around the world. The Encyclopedia of Religious Rites, Rituals, and Festivals, the new volume in the acclaimed Religion and Society series, explores this complex and fascinating topic.
Combining the expertise of outstanding international experts including scholars from all of the world's major religions with perspectives from the cutting edge of major disciplines such as anthropology, sociology, religious studies, history, cultural studies and philosophy, the Encyclopedia of Religious Rites, Rituals, and Festivals examines how religious beliefs are expressed through ritualized behavior and the relationship that exists between secular rituals and religious rituals. This absorbing A-Z Encyclopedia looks not only at religious rituals such as prayer and the celebration of Passover, but also at rituals and festivals take on a religious aspect, such as Star Trek conventions and sports events.
The Encyclopedia of Religious Rites, Rituals, and Festivals presents rituals in human history and across cultures in these general categories:
* Key concepts and ideas that apply across all or most forms of ritual such as asceticism, communitas, magic, and taboo
* Types of rituals such as agricultural rituals, identity rituals, rituals of rebellion, and naming rituals, compared and contrasted across diverse cultures and religion
* Specific types of religion and their diversity and similarities across cultures and religions and includes articles on agricultural rituals, identity rituals, rituals of rebellion, and naming ritual
* Overviews of the major rituals of major world religions, cultural regions, and specific cultures
* Specific rituals such as Christmas, Kwanzaa, and Star Trek conventions
A captivating look at rites, rituals, and festivals-from the Western tradition of wearing a white wedding gown to the profound spiritual achievement of ritual possession to a practitioner of certain Afro-Caribbean religions-the Encyclopedia of Religious, Rites, and Festivals, is an essential and thoroughly engrossing resource.
* 130 signed A-Z entries
* 60 sidebars featuring primary source materials
* Useful cross-references and suggestions for further reading
* 60 black and white photos and illustrations
* Comprehensive analytic index