Enter Title, Author, ISBN, etc.
Use arrow tabs for subcategories
Title: Thinking German Translation: A Course in Translation Method: German to English, 2nd Edition
Author: Higgins, Ian
Additional Authors or Contributors: Michael Loughridge, Hervey Sandor
Publisher: Routledge/Taylor & Francis; Publication Date: 2006
Paperback; ISBN: 9780415341462
Volumes: 1; Pages: 256
List Price in Paper: $44.95 Our price: $44.95
(Add to Cart button is at the bottom of this page)
Thinking German Translation, Second Edition, is a comprehensive practical course in translation for advanced students of German, which focuses on improving translation quality whilst giving clear explanations of the theoretical issues involved. This second edition brings the course up-to-date, has been fully revised to give clearer explanations of key terms and features revised chapters on genre, compensation and revision and editing.
Based on detailed analysis of translations problems, Thinking German Translation features new contemporary material taken from a wide range of sources, including:
- Business and politics
- Press and publicity
- Literary and consumer-oriented texts
A variety of translation issues are addressed, including:
- Cultural differences
- Register and dialect
- Revision and Editing
Thinking German Translation is essential reading for all students wishing to perfect their translation skills. It is also an excellent foundation for those considering a career in translation.
Preface to the second edition
1. Preliminaries to translation as a process Practical 1 1.1 Intralingual translation: Exodus 14 1.2 Gist translation: Manufactum K chenmesser
2. Preliminaries to translation as a product Practical 2 2.1 Degrees of freedom; translation loss: Audi Dieseltechnologie 2.2 Degrees of freedom; translation loss: Im Westen nichts Neues
3. Cultural issues in translation Practical 3 3.1 Cultural issues: Kulturelle Vielfalt in Europa: Bayern 3.2 Cultural issues: Die Duwaksblanze
4. Compensation Practical 4 4.1 Compensation: Audi A8 4.2 Compensation: Biermann: 'Kunstst ck'
5. Textual genre and translation issues Practical 5 5.1 Genre and translation: Wilhelm Furtw ngler 5.2 Genre and translation: Wertmanagement der BASF 5.3 Genre and translation: Der Rennsteigtunnel 5.4 Genre and translation: Katz und Maus The formal properties of texts: Introduction
6. The formal proper