Enter Title, Author, ISBN, etc.
Use arrow tabs for subcategories
Title: Sufism and Deconstruction: A Comparative Study of Derrida and Ibn 'Arabi
Author: Almond, Ian
Publisher: Routledge/Taylor & Francis; Publication Date: 2004
Hardcover; ISBN: 9780415320436
Volumes: 1; Pages: 176
List Price in Hardcover: $165.00 Our price: $165.00
(Add to Cart button is at the bottom of this page)
Examinung a series of common features in the works of Derrida and the Sufism of Ibn 'Arabi, considered to be one of the most influential figures in Islamic thought, the author addresses the significant absence of attention on the relationship between Islam and Derrida. Presenting a deconstructive perspective on Ibn 'Arabi, the book's features include:
* the opposition to systematizing representations of God/reality/the text
* a re-emphasis on the radical unthinkability of God and the text
* a common conception of rational thought as restrictive, commodifying and ultimately illusory--and a subsequent appraisal of confusion as leading to a higher state of knowledge
* a positive belief in the infinate interpretability of the text
* a suspicion of represention--and an awareness of its semantic futility, along with a common, 'welcoming' affirmation of openness and errancy towards God and the text.
This book will be essential reading for advanced students and academics of Religious studies, Arabic and Islamic studies and those interested in the work of Derrida and Ibn 'Arabi.
All Prices in US Dollars