Enter Title, Author, ISBN, etc.
Use arrow tabs for subcategories
Title: Oxford Encyclopedia of the Bible and Theology
Author: Balentine, Samuel E
Additional Authors or Contributors: (ed)
Publisher: Oxford University Press; Publication Date: 2015
Hardcover; ISBN: 9780199858699
Volumes: 2; Pages: 1200
List Price in Hardcover: $395.00 Our price: $339.99
(Add to Cart button is at the bottom of this page)
The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Bible and Theology (OEBT) is a new encyclopedic treatment of major theological issues and themes in the Bible that surpasses all similar reference works in scope and significance. Leading scholars provide extensive overviews of key topics, offering analyses of the trajectory and reception history of theological issues as well as critical assessment of Near Eastern and Greco-Roman antecedents for Old and New Testament perspectives. While many entries address the Bible's historical context, including traditional theological perspectives on creation, sin, covenant, grace, and forgiveness, others are more rooted in modern issues, featuring biblical perspectives on contemporary concerns such as wealth and poverty, gender/race discrimination, and market economics.
The two-volume OEBT contains 168 entries ranging in length from 2,000 to 8,000 words. With bibliographic references and suggestions for further reading, each entry affords students and scholars a comprehensive topical and methodological summary of the topic that serves as both a go-to reference and a starting point for original research. The OEBT's distinctive approach and range of entries make it a unique resource that fills a void in biblical scholarship.
* Nearly 170 signed A-Z entries, by more than 150 international scholars, make this the authoritative resource on the subject.
* Extensive overviews of key topics, including information on both the trajectory and reception history of theological issues.
* Thorough coverage of traditional theological perspectives, such as Forgiveness and Grace, and modern concerns, such as Wealth and Poverty.
* In-depth entries on theological issues in the various books of the Bible.
* Includes a synoptic outline of contents arranged by conceptual category, plus a general index to aid and guide research.
* Comprehensive lists of abbreviations of the books of the Bible, pseudepigraphical and apocryphal works, Qumran texts, Nag Hammadi codices, and more in each volume.