Enter Title, Author, ISBN, etc.
Use arrow tabs for subcategories
Title: Donatist Church in an Apocalyptic Age
Author: Hoover, Jesse A
Publisher: Oxford University Press; Publication Date: 2018
Hardcover; ISBN: 9780198825517
Volumes: 1; Pages: 272
List Price in Hardcover: $90.00 Our price: $71.99
(Add to Cart button is at the bottom of this page)
The Donatist Church in an Apocalyptic Age examines an apocalypse that never happened, seen through the eyes of a dissident church that no longer exists. Jesse A. Hoover considers Donatists, members of an ecclesiastical communion that for a brief moment formed the majority church in Roman North Africa--modern Tunisia, Algeria, and Libya--before fading away sometime between the fifth and seventh centuries. Hoover studies how Donatists perceived the end of the world to offer a glimpse into the inner life of the dissident communion: what it valued, whom it feared, and how it defined its place in history while on the cusp of history's end. By recovering these appeals to apocalyptic themes in surviving Donatist writings, this study uncovers a significant element within the dissident movement's self-perception that has so far gone unexamined. In contrast to previous assessments, it argues that such eschatological expectations are not out of sync with the wider world of Latin Christianity in late antiquity, and that they functioned as an effective polemical strategy designed to counter their opponents' claim to be the true church in North Africa.
Table of Contents
1. The Apocalypse that Never Was: External Impressions of Donatist Eschatology
2. "The World has Grown Old": The Roots of Donatist Eschatology
3. "Woe to You, World, for You are Perishing!" Early Donatists at the End of the Age
4. "God will Come from the Afric": Mainstream Donatism and Remnant Theology
5. "As We have Already Seen in Africa": The Tyconian Alternative
6. "His Name Means 'Ever-Increasing'": Donatist Eschatology after 411
Appendix A: Was Commodian a Donatist?
Appendix B: Were the Circumcellions a Millenarian Movement?
All Prices in US Dollars